History of the Library
The first mentions of a public library are from the twenties of the 19th century, where there were three families in the lead of the patriotic efforts at Ústí nad Orlicí – the Andres, the Korábs and the Rettigs – who accomplished a lot of deserving revivalists’ work during their seven-year activity in the town, since they strived for the usage of the Czech language, spread literature and established the Czech public library.
Unfortunately, anything more is known about future fate of the library after the Rettig family left Ústí nad Orlicí.
Libraries of fellowships and clubs also played a role in the town. The library of “Čtenářská beseda” (Readers’ Club), established in 1868 and closed after two-year operation for reason of lack of funds, and the library of the first workers’ fellowship called “Lidumil” (“Philanthropist”) (in 1892)
The first Municipal Library was founded in Ústí nad Orlicí in 1881. The foundations of the new library were laid by the headmaster of the civil school for boys at that time, who began collecting books of “entertaining” content.
The Občanská záložna savings bank took charge of the financial part of the Library’s activities, when it donated 50 guldens for the equipment of the Municipal Library and promised an annual subsidy as well. At the same time, a librarian and two administrators were appointed. In the course of time, the number of promoters of the Library went increasing as well as that of donors, among whom especially Jan Ludovít Lukes stood out.
Years 1900 – 1946
The Library had its seat in one separate room at the Municipal Office on the square, where it remained also after 1918 (when the Czechoslovak Republic gained independence)
The town was generous with the Library, and so a reading room with 67 magazines was added to the library as early as in 1921.
From 1932, the Municipal Library was located in the house called "Klementinum". During the course of time, book stock of all major fellowships’ libraries in the town were successfully included in the Municipal Library.
Years 1946 – 1989
In 1946, the Library had 12 934 items of books and 27 998 loans. By decision of the Municipal Council, the Municipal Library became District Library on 17 May 1951 and was moved to its own building near the centre of the town, called "Na Pindulce".
The District Library was the public universal library and the central library of the network of public libraries in the district. It directed 9 municipal libraries of the district of Ústí nad Orlicí and 134 local libraries with volunteer librarians from the point of view of methodology. In addition to the function of the district library, it also performed the role of the municipal and central library for 22 local popular libraries within the area of Ústí.
In 1985, the construction of a new and large addition to the building began; it was completed in spring 1988.
On 1 January 1991, within the changes after November 1989 (when our country left Communism and returned to democracy), the District Library was transformed into a municipal library with regional functions whose authority is the Town of Ústí nad Orlicí. In several years, the classic card catalogues were transferred to the electronic form. The Library has been connected to the Internet since 1997, and it enables users’ Internet access on two computers in the Department of Music. www pages of the Municipal Library at Ústí nad Orlicí have been drawn up gradually. Since 1 November 2000, the lending process has been performed through Clavius automated library system.
On 8 October 2002, the Audio-Library for visually handicapped and blind citizens of the district of Ústí nad Orlicí was solemnly opened at the Department of Music of the Municipal Library during the Week of Libraries. The Audio-Library consists of a collection of audio-books – books recorded by top actors and moderators on recording tapes. The tapes are lent or sent to members of Czech Blind United and other handicapped citizens free of charge.
Since September 2003, a number of multimedia CD-ROMs of entertaining and educational nature have been available at Children’s Department.
Poslední aktualizace stránky: 10. 3. 2017